would love to post some photos from my US trip soon. but for now just thought I'd share a list of books I've read these 5 months.
1. Approval Addiction by Joyce Meyer
2. Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
3. A Mere Interlude by Thomas Hardy
4. The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar by Roald Dahl
5. The Four Agreements by Don Miguel
6. The Lord of The Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring by J R R Tolkien (yes i know, i did it!!!)
7. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
8. Extravagant Worship by Darlene Zshech
9. The Road Less Travelled by M Scott Peck (still reading)
10. Happiness is... by Dr A. R. Bernard (3 days from completion, it's a daily devotion type)
reading is one of the best hobbies i re-picked up last year. expanded my worldview so much. i can't wait to read the rest of my stash (it goes beyond the picture, hehe). i only buy brand new books from major sales/bookfairs like MPH Bookfair or Popular Bookfair (which are usually held on weekends at one of the Expo Halls). The rest of my books are 2nd hand books purchased from my favourite bookstore at Bras Basah Complex. It is on the ground level called Evernew Bookstore.
Books from Evernew Bookstore are as cheap as $2.90. The price differs based mainly on the condition of the books & sometimes on the popularity. Eg, if you see the picture, the Malcolm Gladwell titles are very well maintained, almost new ones & i guess cos of the popularity of the author, they go for $5.90-$7.90. But to be honest, even $7.90 is still much cheaper than the original price! Still a very worthy steal! (:
During the Bras Basah Book Sale (where other 2nd hand bookstores also set up tables etc and fill the whole ground floor of Bras Basah Complex), there are even better deals with books going for as low as $1. This occurs sometime during the 2nd half of the year, in Oct I think.
One of the best things about Evernew Bookstore is they have a large collection of Christian 2nd hand books too and cos of the lack of popularity of these books (to the general public that is) they are mostly $2.90 or 2 for $5!! Authors like Dr Cho, Dr AR Bernard, John C Maxwell, Dr Avanzini, Dr Ed Cole, Benny Hinn, Pst Ulf Ekman etc etc, which might be familiar to my fellow christian friends, are all available there! :D
I super highly recommend anybody who is a book fanatic or if you want to start a hobby of reading, or if you just happen to pass by Bras Basah Complex to visit Evernew Bookstore & get started on reading in a very affordable manner!
On a similar note, I bought a KINDLE PAPERWHITE when I went US. Bcos of my kindle, I managed to read The Lord of The Rings on-the-go! (I can't imagine lugging a thick trilogy around in my bag!) I used to avoid fantasy stories like a plague but after hearing a few friends rave about the book saying it's a MUST-READ, I decided to give it a try. And BHAM, who knows, a non-fantasy reader like me actually got hooked to the story! The simplicity of the writing makes the story very easy to follow (contrary to my prior belief otherwise). But it is a rather LONG book, now that I finished Part 1, I'll take a break from it for awhile (and go re-watch the first movie) to complete other titles on my to-reads before embarking on the journey with Frodo & his pals in The Two Towers.
“The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”
― Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!
No comments:
Post a Comment