Saturday, December 12, 2015

Going solo - Penang

So in August, I went on my first fully solo trip! Filled with lots of art, too much food and plenty of flavor all around!


Landed and was very fortunate to have my friend's Penang friend, T, who became my friend, pick me up from the airport and take me out to dinner. After we parted ways, I went exploring a little and walked into a basketball game between 2 schools almost kampong style with family members of the players seated around. And as a non-foodie in an island of good food, I only managed a pink gu kui for supper with my reads before ending my night early.








Day 2 was just overwhelming on so many counts - had 5 famous local dishes in 1 meal thanks to T. Following too much good food, I went exploring around Georgetown to check out the various sites of the Georgetown Festival (which was the main purpose of my trip). Then I made an early start to the Universati Sains cultural centre, which is a 40min drive away from Georgetown for a play - The Metamorphosis - Android version. For the first time I bought a ticket to an overseas play and planned my trip around an arts festival! I was very excited to attend this and even more so when I found out it was going to be in French.


The play was adapted from Franz Kafka's book, The Metamorphosis but has a modern twist to it. Interesting thing is a robot acted in this play (no kidding). Thoroughly enjoyed my first overseas solo play watching experience.





Day 3 - T brought me to an old school breakfast place which is very popular before I took a ferry to cross over to the mainland for a fringe festival - Butterworth Fringe Festival. It was the first day of the festival and as I gotta catch my flight back in the evening, I went before everything was fully set-up and when most activities hasn't started yet. Still managed to check out a photo exhibition and an  installation about social control and structure before I headed back to Penang island to comb the streets to see more street murals. Concluded my trip with dinner at Kaffa Café at the airport, as recommended by T. Good timing too as I was treated to a live music set at the café!





And this was how I fell in love with Penang. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment